Always ask to see the Gas Safe Registration Card

Aug 03 2011
Share |

Saving pennies may seem like a good idea but using illegal unregistered gas engineers can cost you thousands, your business and even your life. While times are tough it may be tempting but what may seem like scare mongering is all too often fact working within the gas industry.

It is against the law for anyone to work on gas appliances who aren’t gas safe registered. Should something go wrong after work has been carried out by an unregistered engineer you will not be covered by your insurance. Check that anyone working on your catering equipment is registered to do so.


Ask to see the gas registration card
  • Check they are registered to work on non domestic equipment on the back of the card
  • (An engineer registered for domestic gas is not qualified to work on non domestic equipment)
  • Ensure under the non domestic side it says ‘Catering gas and LPG’ plus ‘Pipe work and commissioning’
  • Check the dates on the front and back of the card
  • Check the photo on the card is the same as the engineer  working on your equipment
  • Check the security hologram on the front of the card
  • Check the license number on the front of the card

You can check the engineer working on your equipment is qualified to do so by checking the engineer’s license number on their gas safe card by phoning 0800 408 5500 or using the online service following this link.

For more information on how to check your engineer look on the Gas Safe Register website.

Using unregistered gas engineers can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.


Follow us on FacebookFollow Us on Twitter

Register for latest news and discounts